About Me

My photo
I've been into dollhouse miniatures since the early 1990's now and when I realized how much I've learned during that time, I thought I'd make a blog to share my knowledge with others. I'm mostly auto-deduct, but always found help on the Internet and in specific books. The mini-world starts and ends with your own imagination, so let there be no limit. And never say : I CAN'T .... because you can, you just need to try and have the necessary know-how. And that's the main reason why I started this blog, because I wanna share what I know with newbies in the miniature world or anybody else who might be interested in sharing what I've learned so far. So, hopefully, I'll be able to provide some useful hints, tips and tricks for those of you out there just starting with this wonderful hobby

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

January 27, 2017

THE WINE CELLAR : A gift for my beloved husband

Hello everybody

Even though this is an older project from a few years back, I thought it was about time to publish a post about it : THE WINE CELLAR

The idea came up when we moved into our new house back in December 2005. The room where my husband's wine cellar was supposed to be was there ..... but we knew that we had to wait at least a couple of years before we'd be able to install it for good.

So, in order to bridge the gap of time, I thought : why not make him one in miniature ?

And you can drink as many bottles of wine as you like, you won't get drunk 

πŸ‘»πŸ˜†πŸ˜€πŸ˜‚πŸ‘»


This is a picture I took this morning (January 27th, 2017), this is how it looks now.
I added a glass front and a glass top, because the dust problem had become impossible to manage .... imagine the size of 1 bottle of wine is about 2 cm top πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€


This picture shows the finished project, but without the glass.
I will of course add a few pictures of the work in progress, because all the furniture, except the two armchairs and the barrels, are made out of scratch.
I took me almost a year to complete

So let's have a look

Since this was supposed to be a cellar, I did not plan to insert any windows, just a staircase that leads to the house of course. So I first assembled the 4 pieces of MDF wood (about 1 cm thick)
I wanted this project to be sort of "open" so no roof or front here, for easy access while working on it and of course better view


I made the walls and the floor with the dollhouse magic masonry system, available as stones in different shapes, bricks etc. This system easily transforms any smooth surface into a miniature brick, stone, slate or cement floor or wall. And it is not expensive at all.

Here's a description of the product from one of the online stores selling it

 Each Magic Systems kit contains dry powder mix, adhesive-backed "stencil" tape with the specific pattern cut into it, and complete application instructions.  All you add is water.  You can also mix it directly with paint.   Available in red or white powder kits that cover 1,2,4,8, or 9 square feet, all others cover specified square inches.  Extra STUCCO powder and stencil TAPE are sold seperately.  All are 1" scale except as noted.




The same technique with the Magic brick system


and another one for the stone walls


A few pictures of the painting job 



as I said ..... Work in Progress


My own magic box .... with leftovers that are always useful
that's why I never throw these away


starting with the wine shelves


this is what the parts where the bottles are actually going to be lying look like before assembling


it took me many hours to make all these "holes" for my mini bottles


still not finished


a trick to easlily sand round openings


there you go


slowly starting to look like a wine rack, wine shelf


and here's n° 1 finished, yeah 


here's the second one and the one in the back is a little different



As you can see, you don't need much to make a little table
I added tiles to the top, but you can of course make your own design


Starting with the bar

Before starting with a piece of furniture, you'll need to draw sort of a draft onto paper first, with all the exact measurements of course and then you can begin to cut out the pieces of wood



Just checking the available space


Giving it a coat of wood dye


Adding details, like f.ex. these floor tiles .... they give a nice personal touch to my bar


And this is what it looks once I was done ..... I added some red color and some leftover wallpaper


This is the front part of the bar, made in just the same way


A good friend of my Daddy made this "machine" to cut out wood stripes, in order to get them all the exact same size
Fantastic !!


More work in progress


I could post a few hundred pics about how this project came to life, but don't be afraid ..... 
I won't do that

πŸ˜—πŸ˜—πŸ˜—


Just a last one : I bought 1 bottle of wine with real wine and even a certificate
Don't ask what I paid ..... I prefer not to remember

Stay tuned for more

See ya
πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€













No comments:

Post a Comment