About Me

My photo
I've been into dollhouse miniatures since the early 1990's now and when I realized how much I've learned during that time, I thought I'd make a blog to share my knowledge with others. I'm mostly auto-deduct, but always found help on the Internet and in specific books. The mini-world starts and ends with your own imagination, so let there be no limit. And never say : I CAN'T .... because you can, you just need to try and have the necessary know-how. And that's the main reason why I started this blog, because I wanna share what I know with newbies in the miniature world or anybody else who might be interested in sharing what I've learned so far. So, hopefully, I'll be able to provide some useful hints, tips and tricks for those of you out there just starting with this wonderful hobby

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

April 25, 2012

DIY Boxes


Hello again

when it comes to boxes in miniature, there are an awful lot you can make yourself


I found little wooden boxes in a hobby shop, I bought some in different shapes, round, oval, rectangular and also in different sizes. They are made of simple natural wood. The ones in this picture have around 2 cm diameter.

I painted the inside and added a little fabric to give it a more "cozy" touch. I then used wallpaper leftovers to decorate the outside of the box. 
You can add a little something on top of the lid if you want and then give it a few coats of paint (I always use acrylic colors).
To finish the box, you might also wanna add some trimming around the bottom and you're done

************

Useful Tip :  When you paint the inside of the lid, try to use only 1 coat, because several coats risk to make the lid too thick and in the end it doesn't fit anymore on your box

*************


What you wanna do with these boxes is totally up to your imagination. You can paint them, fill the interior eventually with some fabric, add little findings and/or even wallpaper leftovers, trim with some lace f.ex. ...... just let your imagination flow and you'll end up with something pretty. I do have a few of those boxes in my bedroom, that's why I like to have some in my dollhouse bedrooms too.


I made these little vintage shabby shoes boxes myself.
Of course, you have to spend some time on your computer to make those
First I had to choose the design (I already have a lot of paper designs saved on my Mac) and then I wanted something special for the top, already integrated in the finished pattern when printing, because I really didn't want to glue something on top of my boxes

I made these with PAGES on my Mac


Another little shoe box I made ..... wasn't very pleased with the final result, but that's because I used the wrong paper when I printed out the pattern.


The round one in this pic is another one I made with these little wooden boxes (see below)

I also love making these little baskets .... here I used paper with a pattern I found (for free) on the Internet. This way, no need to paint or add wallpaper to your projects.

Be careful, if you wanna sell your creations, you'll always need to make your own patterns and not use somebody elses !!!!!!

VBS Spanschachteln, 6er-Set

(Picture copied from Amazon.de) ... see below for direkt link


Another cute project made with the same boxes --- > see below


There's more about these in the DIY section, check it out

Stay tuned 
See ya ...

πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€







No comments:

Post a Comment