About Me

My photo
I've been into dollhouse miniatures since the early 1990's now and when I realized how much I've learned during that time, I thought I'd make a blog to share my knowledge with others. I'm mostly auto-deduct, but always found help on the Internet and in specific books. The mini-world starts and ends with your own imagination, so let there be no limit. And never say : I CAN'T .... because you can, you just need to try and have the necessary know-how. And that's the main reason why I started this blog, because I wanna share what I know with newbies in the miniature world or anybody else who might be interested in sharing what I've learned so far. So, hopefully, I'll be able to provide some useful hints, tips and tricks for those of you out there just starting with this wonderful hobby

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

June 27, 2017

The Lavender Shop : making a table out of scratch

Hi there

Well, after a good night sleep, I'm back to share pics of a cute little table I made
to display some more of the items I made for my Lavender Shop

This table is going to be standing outside the shop, right near the entrance ... I guess

Some time ago, I bought a picnic table, plain wood, not painted, but imagine my dissapointment when the package arrived : I opened it and found 4 pieces instead of 1 (it was supposed to be all glued and put together) and it really looked bad. When I saw the label 'Made in China', that's when I stopped wondering why it was in such a bad condition and why the material used was such a bad choice

πŸ˜–πŸ˜–πŸ˜–

But I didn't trow it away, tried to use as many pieces of it as possible, but in the end, all that was left and usable were the pieces for the table top

So I removed all the old glue, sanded them neatly, glued them together and I had a brand new table top. I then made a little construction to hold the legs of the table (I do always have a little stash of spindels of all sorts, which are ideal to make table legs by the way)

Once the glue had dried, I just added some wood stain, a little golden acrylic color (with a piece of fabric), aged the corners using my mini distress ink pads and finished it with a coat of acrylic gloss

Here are a few pics just to give you an idea of how I did it

Enjoy


These were the 5 pieces left of the original table, gued together and sanded


After the glue had dried, I made sort of a construction underneath to
make it easier to hold the legs


Next step was giving the whole thing a coat of wood stain


Here's a little trick to paint your table legs/spindels :
take a piece of wood or cardboard, whatever you have at hand and put a strip of
double-sided adhesive tape on it. This will hold your spindels while you give color or stain them
Easy Peasy without getting your hand dirty
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„


Letting it all dry


Gluing the legs into place ..... and let dry at least 30 minutes, depending on the glue you're using


And there you have it : a cute little table that can be used for many purposes
..... and only 1 hour work, tops


I'm using mine to display some more items I made for my Lavender Shop

Come back soon, there's always more to come

See ya
πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€








3 comments: