About Me

My photo
I've been into dollhouse miniatures since the early 1990's now and when I realized how much I've learned during that time, I thought I'd make a blog to share my knowledge with others. I'm mostly auto-deduct, but always found help on the Internet and in specific books. The mini-world starts and ends with your own imagination, so let there be no limit. And never say : I CAN'T .... because you can, you just need to try and have the necessary know-how. And that's the main reason why I started this blog, because I wanna share what I know with newbies in the miniature world or anybody else who might be interested in sharing what I've learned so far. So, hopefully, I'll be able to provide some useful hints, tips and tricks for those of you out there just starting with this wonderful hobby

January 21, 2017

DIY Postcard and/or Magazine Rack

Hi everybody

I'ts time for a new DIY post here on my blog. As you all well know by now, I'm a DIY'er, well let's say I have become one over the years. Not because I couldn't find what I was looking for, no no no, everything is right out there, you just have to buy it and put it in your dollhouse, but that's no fun, isn't it ??

πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘―πŸ‘―πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Today, we're going to talk a little bit about postcard and/or magazine racks that you can easily make with a few things I'm sure you have in your workplace somewhere.

Let's start with a few pictures of the one's I made for some of my miniature projects



This was my very first try. I needed one for my scrapbook shop. 
Needless to say I made all the magazines too
Feeling proud 😊😊


Here's another magazine rack I made for my beach shop, which is in sunny Florida ... you might have guessed that already, lol.


The postcard rack was also made for my beach shop ..... I'll post a few pictures on the making process at the end of this post, so please don't click away now  ......... πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•


With the pencil in the pictures, you can see the size of the racks. Both are flat, because I didn't have much space in my little shop and they had to be glued onto the wall.


This is what you'll need for this projects. A page of printed postcards in the correct size of course, Tacky Glue, acrylic color of your choice, a sheet of balsa wood (2 mm thick is quite ok here), M-shaped corner moulding, scissors, ruler, pencil, cutter and a pair of fine tweezers


I first cut out a few postcards, since they all are the same size. 
It's the easiest way to fit them into your rack


Once you've chosen the size of your rack, cut out the back from the piece of balsa wood and cut the L-shaped angled moulding to the same width
NO GLUYING ..... NOT JUST YET


Put the moulding in place and add a postcard to each one, in order to see if they fit and also to have the same space between all of them


This is what I use to cut moulding, trims, railing, cornice, etc. ... the ultimate easy cutter.
Not cheap, but very very helpful


Now you can glue the mouldings on .... and sand everything


You can either use these flat wood sticks or balsa wood to cut out the sides of your rack


Glue in place and sand


It now should look something like this


Paint and wait until dry, then use your tweezers to add the postcards 
better glue them on, otherwise they will keep falling around your shop, believe me, I KNOW 

..... and decorate as you like


I found this punch in a hobby store once .... the little palm trees came in handy since this is a beach shop, haha. I have another one with tiny little dolphins, also very cute for any project that has to do with the beach

I hope you'll enjoy making one of these racks ..... 
feel free to get in touch should you have any questions
email me at : dmzminiatures@gmail.com

Stay tuned ....

See ya 
πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ


1 comment: