About Me

My photo
I've been into dollhouse miniatures since the early 1990's now and when I realized how much I've learned during that time, I thought I'd make a blog to share my knowledge with others. I'm mostly auto-deduct, but always found help on the Internet and in specific books. The mini-world starts and ends with your own imagination, so let there be no limit. And never say : I CAN'T .... because you can, you just need to try and have the necessary know-how. And that's the main reason why I started this blog, because I wanna share what I know with newbies in the miniature world or anybody else who might be interested in sharing what I've learned so far. So, hopefully, I'll be able to provide some useful hints, tips and tricks for those of you out there just starting with this wonderful hobby

January 21, 2017

DIY Flower boxes

Hi there

I'm back today with a few tips on how to make your own flower boxes and make them look old, weathered. You can of course make yours and just paint them to look brandnew, that's entirely up to you.

It's an easy project, very suitable for beginners too, so don't be afraid, just need some wood, glue, stain and acrylic colors and an old nailfile for sanding.


These wood strips are widely available at most dollhouse and/or hobby and craft shops. These here are about 40 cm long, 1 cm wide and 1-2 mm thick.


Here's what they look after 2 coats of wood stain .... there are different shades, so you can make your choice. It doesn't really matter that much, since it will be covered with paint and only look through a little bit after sanding.


And here are the boxes once assembled. One of the reasons I like to make my own is because you never get the right size to really fit your windows when you by them πŸ˜’πŸ˜’


Mine are for the windows of the "Dorfpuppenhaus", so I made them the size I needed.
These have already a first coat of acrylic colorK


Here are different ways to make them look old and weathered. Once your acrylic color is dry (which is a very fast process usually), take an old nailfile and start sanding lightly, don't push too hard on the file.

If you're not happy with the result, you can add another coat of vernish and/or color and sand some more


Maybe some of you might think that these simply look dirty, lol .... but as I said, it's entirely up to you how they'll end up


These are the colors and stain I used for this project.


I discovered the use of "Distress Ink Pads" while watching a youtube video and they really come in handy for projects like these. AND DON'T FORGET TO WEAR GLOVES !!!! Otherwise your fingernails will look kinda dirty for a few days, at least, because wood stain is very very sticky.

If you don't want your boxes to look too old and dark, just stain, put on a coat of acrylic color and sand very lightly. Then use these tiny ink pads to just go over the edges. I bought these 4 colors and just fiddled around until I was happy with the result.


Here are 2 boxes almost finished, filled with some roses ..... I'll just need to add some glue (UHU is really great here) to get your flowers not to fall out of the box .... haha and finish it with some green moss and I'll be done. They're ready to embellish the windows of my dollhouse.

*****************

I'm also trying to make my own terracotta pots ..... I will be posting the results as soon as they look ..... decent enough to be published πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡ so stay tuned

See ya ......

1 comment:

  1. This was just the technique I was looking for. I am working on a glass enclosed miniature greenhouse and I wanted to make small planter boxes. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete