About Me

My photo
I've been into dollhouse miniatures since the early 1990's now and when I realized how much I've learned during that time, I thought I'd make a blog to share my knowledge with others. I'm mostly auto-deduct, but always found help on the Internet and in specific books. The mini-world starts and ends with your own imagination, so let there be no limit. And never say : I CAN'T .... because you can, you just need to try and have the necessary know-how. And that's the main reason why I started this blog, because I wanna share what I know with newbies in the miniature world or anybody else who might be interested in sharing what I've learned so far. So, hopefully, I'll be able to provide some useful hints, tips and tricks for those of you out there just starting with this wonderful hobby

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

November 5, 2015

DIY Bathroom Shelves

Hello my mini friends
and welcome back to my blog

I'm not one of those bloggers who post something every day and I guess every hobby miniaturist knows why : because it is simply impossible to make something new each day and take time to take pictures and post these ..... at least, if you want your mini work to be accurate and nice, you should never be in a hurry

Today's post is gonna be about bathroom shelves.
When I start a new dollhouse, before buying or making new furniture, I always take a look around in my stash to see what I've got there first ... because I never throw anything away, usually it's worth to take a look

Here are a couple of ideas to turn either old furniture or unfinished pieces (available at most dollhouse stores, they usually call it naked, unpainted furniture, bare essentials) into cute little shabby looking bathroom shelfs

This one was an old piece I found in my own stash, it was painted in a awfully dark wood color. My regular followers know already that I'm crazy about bright colors, all my dolhouses and other miniature projects are always very colorful, as you probably remember.

First I removed the doors and then started sanding ... and sanding ... and sanding ... a lot. If you wanna have the shabby look, make sure to leave a bit of the wood stain on your piece.

After that I used a light blue (my own mix) and went over the entire piece with a slightly bigger brush than usual, making sure that here and there, some of the old wood still looks through.
Once dry, I sanded again and repeated these 2 steps 2 times.

Once everything is dry and sanded, take a bit of wood dye - not too dark, (best is to use a piece of cloth here) --- and don't forget the gloves to protect your hands and nails --- and go over it.

To give it a bit of a glossy finish, I used a spray (not too glossy though, otherwise you don't get the old shabby look) ... fill it with whatever you want and you're done. I made all the items in this shelf myself, except of course for the tiny sea shells which I simply painted with some gold color.




I made a whole series of those black and white canisters or whatever you wanna call them, lol and I used them in different projects


Here's another one ... made more or less in the same way


Use your imagination to decorate your bathroom shelf with lots of DIY items, it's much more fun to make those instead of just buying them ... and it's of course much less expensive, because they are mostly made of everyday items you can find around the house



These 2 shelves are in the bathroom of my Grosvenor Hall, my absolute favorite Dollhouse ever. And the entire bathroom in that house is my favorite too. 

Just wanted to post these 2 pics to give you more ideas on how to fill those shelves of yours.


Of course, if you're not so much into DIY, you can of course buy all these little items to fill your shelves .... the result is just as good.


The bathroom in my Italian Tuscan villa is very small.
Therefore I just made these little wall shelves and added a few items I purchased

Have fun 
See ya ...
πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€


No comments:

Post a Comment